Monday, March 18, 2013

Week Four: Practice Makes Perfect??

Week Four

Even though I am practicing a LOT, (maybe a little more then 20% of my time) I still didn't get to the "perfection" stage yet. However, I remember to keep on reminding to myself, "Artwork is beautiful because it's NOT perfect" so I don't lack confidence! This week, I was working on architectural drawings, where I sketch a building and use watercolor paint to enhance the drawing. My family friend, Hyun Ji, who majored in architecture, decided to teach me from the basics on how to buildings. She showed me her drawings of Venice, Rome, and other places that she drew of when she was in Europe.

First she had a little "talk" with me about perspective. She didn't have to explain a whole lot about perspective, because I told her about how I had to learn about perspectives in Geometry last year. This is a little picture of my "perspective drawings".


Then she taught me the basics of drawing a 3-D object. She told me to draw a box and draw an object INSIDE the box. We chose to draw a pink iHome for practice.

Hyun Ji's example:


My practice:


(As you can see, I messed up on the concept of putting an object inside a box)

She had many architectural pictures that she found from online for me to draw, yet the picture that she took of these vintage looking buildings captivated me. I screamed, "THIS IS THE ONE FOR ME!"

Picture:
Isn't this gorgeous? So beau-ti-ful!!!

Scroll to the bottom of this blog to see how I drew this amazing picture!

Thomas W. Schaller
This whole week, I was gazing at his works, I could only mutter one thing: He is PERFECT! If I may introduce this awesome guy, he is an architect and an architectural artist, and is considered as one of the best architectural artists in the world! He wrote many books, and won every major awards for his art, such as the Hugh Ferris Memorial Prize. His art has been exhibited around the WORLD! Take a look at some of his work...



Click on the links below to gaze at his paintings like I have!!
His gallery: http://www.twschaller.com/galleries/architecture/index.html
More paintings: http://artofday.com/wordpress/?p=2553

Watercolor painting techniques
I read further about watercolor painting techniques. This article talks about depth and luminosity, which I NEED! They talk about the one artist, named Ali Cavanaugh, and her techniques.

I'll share some of the techniques that I've learned:

1. Approach painting much like an oil artist will
-->Build up multiple layers and blend the paint for desired color and value. (This will help you achieve remarkable depth and luminosity)

2. After wetting the surface, slowly and meticulously put finishing touches one stroke by one stroke. (This could be helpful to show realistic skin tones and give rich darkness and depth to the picture.)

It was interesting to see that this artist takes pictures and then draw. She makes sure the photographs are the way she wanted them. I felt happy to know that I was doing the same thing as an actual artists are!)

Now let's take a look at MY paintings (The lighting enhanced my picture!)


I had SO MUCH trouble with this painting. First, the concept of perceptive was so confusing! Also, I think it was especially harder, because the watercolor paper was too small for this painting. I messed up the proportion on the staircase on the left, so the whole drawing is not proportional. I actually had a lot of fun with this though, because after I finished sketching, I felt a burst of happiness of imagining a finished product.

Special thanks to Hyun Ji for her help on this drawing! :)

Family Painting

I have a special attachment to this picture. This was taken at my grandparents' house the day before my family moved to the U.S. in 2007. None of us were ready to take the picture, yet smiled brightly to hide  sorrow. My favorite cousin, Brent, wasn't here, but I remembered to include in painting.

Painting:

I'm not quite finished with this painting, as you can tell. I want to add more things on the background, such as fall leaves, pencils, petals, or whatever that will fill the emptiness. If any have a suggestion, don't hesitate to comment. Thank you!


Works Cited
"20 Amazing Watercolor Paintings by Thomas W. Schaller." Art of Day RSS. N.p., n.d. Web. 18 Mar. 2013.
"About the Artist." Thomas W. Schaller -. N.p., n.d. Web. 18 Mar. 2013.
"Thomas W Schaller Architectural and Fine Art Illustration." Thomas W Schaller Architectural and Fine Art Illustration. N.p., n.d. Web. 18 Mar. 2013. <http://www.twschaller.com/galleries/design/index.html>.
"Top 10 Artists Colonies." Coastal Living. N.p., n.d. Web. 18 Mar. 2013.
"Watercolor Lessons on Depth and Luminosity." Artist Daily. N.p., n.d. Web. 18 Mar. 2013. <http://www.artistdaily.com/Watercolor-Painting-Techniques/>.


2 comments:

  1. SUN MIN KIM, stop being so perfect. It really is not fair to the rest of us mere mortals. I have to say, these watercolors are some of the best I have ever seen. They look almost exactly like the actual pictures. Also, I liked learning about other famous watercolor painters. Showing these paintings will help you to compare your own paintings to those how have succeeded. I believe that your paintings are just as good as Thomas W. Schaller. Keep painting, and I know you have done great with this project. I suggest directly comparing the picture to your paintings. It will help the audience see the quality of your work. GO SUN. YOU ARE AMAZING!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great paintings as usual Sun! :) It's so cool that your family friend came over to help you on the next part of your project! I think it's always easier and a better experience learning from a person (due to my lack of it in my own project). Your hard work and determination really shows through in your posts and it is so encouraging!! I am so excited to see what you have to present at the TED talk.

    ReplyDelete